Tuesday 13 December 2011

IVF Consultation Day

We had our appointment with Dr Paul Serhal today at 12. I deliberately made our blood test for the PGD workup earlier so we could get it out of the way. We arrived at 11am and had our blood taken at the same time by two nurses - 3 vials each by Nathalie and a name I didn't quite catch (Tahlia)? I was sitting up for the blood test and was fine.


We went over to the Alexandra Wing and sat in the waiting room filling out lots of forms and signing every page. I was so pleased that Karen Fordham popped in for a chat while we were there. I asked her the question that has been bugging me for a couple of days... Will I have 3 IVF cycles whilst waiting for the PGD workup to be completed (which can take 1 year) and have 3 lots of embryos (if we get any!) frozen. Usually I guess you would only go for another cycle if the first has failed. Karen understood where I was coming from completely and she had also be considering this. She suggested I mention to to Dr Serhal, but advised us to see how the first cycle goes. We'll have a better idea of chances and progress once the egg collection and fertilization is done.

Dr Serhal was friendly and reassuring, and I loved the fact that he had a montage of baby pictures 'successes' on his wall. I said it must be so rewarding when he can help couples fulfil their desire to become parents, he agreed strongly and added that it was equally frustrating when things didn't succeed.

He asked me a few medical history questions and when my next cycle was due to start. He then talked us through the medication I needed to take:

Next cycle:

Day 14: (should be about 4th Jan) - start taking Primolut tables twice a day morning and night up to and including day 25 (prevents ovarian cysts and regulates hormone levels)

New cycle:

Day 1-7: Cetrotide injections (Block ovaries, prevents egg release)
Day 1-3 Visit CRGH for a scan, to confirm ok to start stimulation drugs
Day 3: Injection to produce eggs (didn't say the name of these) for about 10-11 days
During this time I need to go in for regular scans and blood tests to check hormone levels and follicle development.
Day 14: (ish) Once scan determines all is ready I need to take 1 final (different) injection
40 hours precisely after the final injection, Eggs collection occurs. This piece therefore has to be carefully timed and coordinated.

We agreed the dummy embryo transfer which would normally occur before treatment would wait until we are just before the real transfer stage. No point in doing it now to determine everything is ok, because things may change in a years time.

We then saw Marion who talked us through the drugs in a little more detail, but she was not sure what stimulating drug I would be on. It could be a combination of two (this would mean 3 injections in total on some days!) We can go in for a lesson on the injections nearer the time. One of them would be a 'pen' style, the others would be syringes. (I wonder why the difference?!)

Our drugs would be delivered to our home address, we will get a phonecall soon.

They then took more blood!! This was for a health screen which must be done before any of the treatment.

I left feeling more excited than scared. Everyone was very nice and helpful, so I feel like we will be in safe hands :)

We now have lots of information to read and many more forms to fill in!

No comments:

Post a Comment