Friday 16 December 2011

Medication Arrives

My medication has arrived! Lots of little boxes, two sharps bins and a black zipper bag labelled 'Multi Dose'.

A delivery note itemised the contents, so I carefully checked this before putting the items needing refrigeration in our spare fridge (thank goodness we have one!).

Since then I have been checking the contents list against the notes I made on Tuesday to determine which medication is for each stage and when I start taking it.

I've managed to figure out most of it, not sure why we have two different sharps bins, and the bag labelled 'Multi Dose' is a mystery. Handy little bag though! :)

Some of the boxes state when the medicine should be taken, some don't. Those that do don't match what my notes say! There is also a box of 8 tablets I was not expecting

I am sure all will be confirmed as I go along, but I can imagine this might concern some people. I expected it to be much clearer than it is.


What I now know in addition to my previous post (http://tcspgd.blogspot.com/2011/12/ivf-consultation-day.html) ....


  • Primolut is also known as Norethisterone, and is a progesterone tablet.
  • The stimulation drugs I will be taking are Menopur & Gonal (both injections, both needing refrigeration). These are known as Gonadotrophins and should be taken in the evenings.
  • Cetrotide (Cetrorelix) needs to be taken until the day after the one-off injection. Looks like this starts on day 6, not day 1 as I was told.
  • The final one-off injection is Pregnyl. This is an injection of hGC and has arrived as two separate doses which must be taken together.
  • The extra unexpected box is called Doxycycline, antibiotics to be taken during the stimulation injection phase to clear potential infection prior to egg collection. Once daily for 8 days starting 7th day of injections.


I'll need to book a lesson on the injections, so perhaps we'll find out more about the sharps bins then.

One thing that surprised me was how 'medical' it all looks. This may sound daft, but it looks like the kind of equipment you would find in a hospital, it hasn't been packaged as if for amateurs like me! I'll put pictures up as we start each medication. Hubby suggested that they should probably show patients the packaging and syringes etc whilst you are at the hospital so that it doesn't look quite so daunting when you receive it. We at least have had to deal with injections and sharps bins before because of our diabetic cat! I am slightly concerned that Hubby is going to try to grab me by the scruff of the neck to give me my jabs!! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment