Monday 30 January 2012

EC all done !

I arrived at the clinic just after 10am and was shown immediately to a small ward. Not proper beds, but trolleys. I had wrapped up warm, but after the walk from Kings Cross station, I arrived very cold. I wasn't too pleased about having to get undressed and put a theatre gown on.

The staff today were all so nice. The doctor came to see me while Hubby was away doing his bit ;) He asked if I had any questions, I didn't really have any so he just told me I'd be asleep, the anesthetist would come and see me soon, and he said he would do his best for me. Nice Doctor, didn't catch his name.

The Anesthetist came and asked me standard health and medication questions. I was told I'd be going to theatre soon.

Hubby came back, all done. He had a form to fill in for his sperm production, he shown joke concern when there was a space for a name by the word 'Witness' haha.

I walked to theatre about 11:30. The next 5 minutes happened so quickly I can hardly remember it. I laid on the trolloey/bed, there seemed to be lots of people in the room, all going about their business like a carefully rehearsed procedure. I guess they do it everyday. A slick operation! The anesthetist took my left hand, slapped it, stuck a needle in it and I was told I would have a nice sleep. My left hand started to get quite painful. I mentioned it in case something wasn't quite right, I was told not to worry and then .......

I woke up! I was shivering, quite violently. Back on my own trolley, in the ward, a nurse, two doctors, anethetist and Hubby all around me. I was aware I was in pain, but didn't feel quite with it. I was told the shaking could be cold or anxiety. I was told to breath slowly and calm down. I actually felt perfectly calm, just couldn't stop the shivering. I said I was in pain, and the anesthetist soon put some drugs into what I assume was a saline drip. The pain started to ease and the shivering stopped. I was very grateful of the cup of tea that appeared. Biscuits too! I was told we got 4 eggs. The 5th follicle was empty :( Apart from the pain when I woke up, which now feels like bad period pains, it was all ok and I am glad it is over.I left about 2pm, and had to have a quick external scan, through the tummy, to check everything was ok.

I was very impressed at all the staff, especially the main doctor His name began like Solo .. but I didn't get the rest. He had the balance just right, kind and sympathetic enough, without being at all patronising.

The only other effect I had later that evening, was my shoulders and muscles higher up in my stomach and chest ached. I am probably using different muscles compensating for my lower tummy being sore. Hubby has been brilliant. He cooked dinner, we watched a film and then he washed and wiped up, sending me to bed to wait for a cuppa and a hot water bottle. It was just what I needed :)

We will get a call tomorrow to let us know how many fertilised.

No comments:

Post a Comment