Tuesday 24 January 2012

Ickle Follicles & Frustration

Scan booked for 11 am today. The way the trains worked out, we'd either be 5 mins late or 25 mins early! We opted for early and arrived cold and soaked about 10:40.

Scan happened about 11:15. Follicles are a little small, the doctor, Lynn said some of the measurements, but I can't remember them! She suggested that they give me a growth hormone, a dose today and a dose Thursday, which sometimes helps. My blood test was done while Lynn was getting ready to do the scan, so I thought great, we're out of here quick! Lynn said she would now be seeing me every day, so I needed to book a scan for tomorrow. We had to wait in the waiting room to see the nurse to get the extra drug. We waited an hour and 20 minutes. The nurse was about to do a blood test and I mentioned it had already been done. I am starting to wonder whether things are being written in my notes! They didn't have the drug in stock so we had to go to a pharmacy to collect it. We waited 10 minutes for a prescription to be signed, then headed off to a pharmacy in Warren Street, by now a little frustrated at all the waiting as it was 13:30! We had to pay, and we'll claim it back; £260 for two doses of Zomacton! As I guessed, it's an injection! ...

Scan booked for tomorrow, although they were fully booked so it's a double booking! I got a text later in the day to confirm Menopur and Gonal F doses to remain the same. The text also said next scan Thurs. so it looks like they don't want to see me tomorrow after all. I expect I will have to go in Friday as its getting close to egg collection day, which made me wonder why they didn't book me in for a scan Friday at the time. Three injections done. I was given syringes and needles for the Zomacton and was relieved to see it was a small needle, like the ones I am using for Menopur.



The Zomacton, like Cetrotide and Menopur has to be mixed. The solution comes in a small ampule. The top has to be snapped off, the liquid (at least 1.3ml of it) drawn into the syringe with a mixing needle attached and added to the vial of powder. You then change the needle (given the size of the mixing needle you're not likely to forget this step!)

A text message confirmed my doses at 17:42 .. "The dr has reviewed your bloods and would like you to take 225 Gonal F and 225 Menopur tonight and tomorrow night, and Zomacton on alternate days. Please come for a scan on Thursday. CRGH"

No comments:

Post a Comment